Friday, August 19, 2005

 

Clarification

Further to my recent post No one Knows You are a Security Expert... I had a very interesting email discussion with one of my readers which drew my attention to something.

Therefore, Whilst I stand by everything I originally said, I must stress I do not think Bruce Schneier is a crazy lunatic whose brain has been affected by absorption of excess quantities of aluminium foil.

The reason I need to clarify this, is that much of the criticism on this blog is pointed at a minority of people for whom the above description would either be an understatement, or possibly taken as a compliment.

In Schneiers case, this assumption would be incorrect and I wouldn't want it to come across that way. We just disagree. That's all.

In other news of profiling which misses the point however, comes this:
WASHINGTON — Infants have been stopped from boarding planes at airports throughout the United States because their names are the same as or similar to those of possible terrorists on the government's "no-fly" list.

It sounds like a joke, but it's not funny to parents who miss flights while scrambling to have babies' passports and other documents faxed.

Ingrid Sanden's 1-year-old daughter was stopped in Phoenix before boarding a flight home to Washington at Thanksgiving.

"I completely understand the war on terrorism, and I completely understand people wanting to be safe when they fly," Sanden said. "But focusing the target a little bit is probably a better use of resources."
Unofficial sources told Indy Media Watch that the 1 year old girl was not identified as a Muslim male and suggested their anti-terrorist profiling methods might need some work....

Meanwhile, DC Indymedia is discussing economic profiling and lying to police officers instead.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? .