Wednesday, May 25, 2005

 

NYC Indymedia: Burn the Flag on July 4

What better way, according to NYC Indymedia, to celebrate the 4th of July than burning the flag?

This July 4th is Flag Burning Day!

Every summer good Americans don their best red white and blue, and gorge themselves on beer and hotdogs to celebrate our independence from England, but from its very beginnings this country has been built on illegitimacies.
...
So on this Fourth of July we call on you to express your feelings on their “Independence Day” by burning a flag in a nationally coordinated action. Together we will show the elite that we are everywhere and that we completely reject the false principals this holiday is based on.

Please spread this message far and wide. Stay tuned to the regular channels for more information. To endorse this call, help organize or just speak your mind, check out the listserv:
http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/flagburningday


I'm not going to buy into the whole debate about burning flags. What I will say however, is some people take for granted far too much, their right to do certain things without getting shot.

I wonder if Burn the Flag day will be as popular as Freeze the Media day? It's just as intelligent...

Update: Thanks to Michelle Malkin's story, Beware of Moonbats with Matches I have been getting links from all sorts of sites from across the political spectrum. I know this from my referrer logs. Had I relied on Trackback, I never would have known... A selection of (ahem) interesting comments below:

1: OK let me get this down.............I can't flush the Quran but its OK for someone to burn my country's flag.
...
2:Flag burning is not an expression of free speech it is an example of destructive behavior that I would say is more damaging to me personally than a prayer at a high school football game is to an atheist. These people make me sick.
...
3:This 4th of July is Punch-a-Flag-Burner Day.
...
4: "Got a light?"
...
5:Malkin muses: “Wonder which museum will be displaying the desecrated flags as art?” (Answer: The Louvre).
Finally, a couple of comments from the discussion on NYC Indymedia:
actually, if you wanna make a point, and "Burning a Flag a Day Keeps the Oppressor Away" (thanks for making that easy! lol) mentioned it semi-jokingly, carry the flags of MANY oppressive nations around the world. That way you demonstrate to the world what anarchism is: anti-state, not necessarily anti-america. Yes, the U.S. Empire is the most dangerous and criminal of them all, but people who still think of anarchism as dark, nefarious, underworld-type phenomena must be shown the Light when it comes to who we are and what we are representing.
Do you see the light?
gee, this is really going to win the hearts and minds of those "patriots". Why not do something more constructive than piss a bunch a sheep off?
Patriotic sheep... Your move.

Update 2: Via the comments, James Royal has really missed the point and attacked me for promoting this. Err James, I am not Indymedia. Time for Seppuku...

Update 3: Flip has contacted the New York Fire Department and can confirm that lighting fires in a public place may be illegal. Not the same as anti-flag burning laws some would endorse, however it seems they would nonetheless render flag burners in breach of the law (in addition to being just plain dumb).

Comments:
With apologies to Robert Deniro,

Are you talking to me James Royals?

If you are talking to me, boy have you missed the point! I may have to resign my post as "biggest fckng moron in the world"!
 
FYI Watcher,

According to the FDNY, not only are open fires are prohibited in New York City (covered under the NYC Administrative Code Subchapter 26), they're punishable by up to a month in prison for the first offense.

See link for details.

-Flip
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? .